- Carry was sitting by the window when he entered the room.
- He was waiting for her the whole evening.
- It was raining heavily outside and the wind was blowing. Janice was watching TV when the doorbell rang.
- My friend was making a report while his sister was doing the washing-up.
- She closed the suitcase, put on her coat and went out.
- She worked as a cleaner at a local hospital many years ago.
- The children had fallen asleep by ten o`clock.
- They took a Maths exam on Wednesday.
- We hadn`t received the telegram when he arrived.
- We were discussing the novel at that time.
1. past continuous (4)
II. Put the verbs in brackets into the past simple, past continuous or past perfect tense.
- All my friends (to be) glad to hear that I (to pass) all the exams well.
- He (to play) football when he was a student.
- It was Sunday. Mary (to read) the book, Victor (to vacuum) the floor. Suddenly somebody knocked at the door.
- Jack (to walk) along the street when he (to meet) his friend.
- Jessica (not to have) dinner until she (to feed) her child.
- We (to wash) the dishes, (to sit) down at the table and (to have) dinner.
- When I (to come) home, my sister (to tell) me that she (to receive) a letter from her pen friend.
- When I (to open) the door, the guests (to listen) to music which I (record) yesterday.
- While she (to wash) the dishes, her husband (to dry) them.
- Jack (to check) all the information by 9 o’clock the day before yesterday.