Salary or wage(s)
Salary — a fixed amount of money that you receive from your employer, usually every month
оклад, заробітна плата
The average salary for a teacher is $39,000 a year.
Wage — money you earn that is paid according to the number of hours, days, or weeks that you work
The average daily wage was £100.
CV or application form
CV — (curriculum vitae) — a document that lists your education, qualifications and the jobs you have done, which you send to an employer that you want to work for
краткая біографія, резюме
He did not attend Ankara University as his CV suggests.
Application form – a printed list of questions that you answer in order to try to get a job, borrow money, get a place at university etc
заява, бланк заяви
We receive hundreds of job applications each year.
Apply or appoint
Apply — to ask officially for something, often by writing
«I still haven’t received my passport» «When did you apply?»
Appoint — to officially choose someone for a job
He was appointed as a company director last year.
to fire or make redundant
To fire – to force someone to leave their job
I’ve just been fired from my job, and I don’t know what to do.
(made redundant — not working because your employer has told you there is not enough work
Businesses are closing and making people redundant.
post or vacaancy
Post — посада, місце
The Prime Minister appointed her to the post of ambassador.
Vacancy — a job that is available for someone to do
We have no vacancies for photographers at the moment.
experienced or trained
Experienced — having experience skill and knowledge because you have done something many times
Karsten’s a very experienced ski instructor.
Trained — means you’ve been taught something. Having practical education on sth.
A team of trained volunteers will be available to help.
perk(s) or bonus
Perk(s) — an advantage, such as money or a car, that you are given because of your job; something that you get legally from your work in addition to your wages, such as goods, meals, or a car.
додаткова пільга, надбавка
A mobile phone is one of the perks of the job.
Bonus — an extra amount of money that you are given, especially because you have worked hard
All employees received a bonus of £500.
full-time or part-time
Full-time – working a complete working day
займає повний робочий день; повністю зайнятий
She works full-time for the council.
Part-time – working less than a complete normal working day.
не повністю зайнятий, що працює неповний робочий день
He works part-time as a waiter.
Choose the correct item.
1. One of the perks/bonuses of this job is that you don`t have to work on Tuesdays.
2. My salary/wage is paid directly into my bank account every month.
3. When you appoint/apply for a job. you usually fill in a(n) CV/application form or send your CV/application form with a covering letter
4. There is a vacancy/post for a shop assistant on Saturdays.
5. When the factory closed 800 people were made redundant/fired.
6. The company has appointed/applied a new sales director.
7. He‘s very trained/experienced in teaching beginners.
8. 5.5 million Americans are working part-time because they can’t find part-time/full-time work.
3. apply, application form, CV
1. What is your weekly salary/wage?
2. All our employees receive an annual perk/bonus.
3. Please send me details of the vacancy/post which you avertised in today`s paper.
4. We’ve appointed/applied four new teachers this year.
5. To become a member, fill in the CV/application form.
6. That was a new paragraph for her CV/application form.
7. He was redundant/fired for always being late.
8. He is very trained/experienced in curing such diseases.
9. Now all our trained/experienced staff know how to use the new computer system.
10. In spite of having two kids, she works part-time/full-time.
5. application form
Choose the correct item
- We need to appoint/apply a new school secretary.
- You have to appoint/apply to the passport office for a visa.
- She appointed /applied to four universities and was accepted by all of them.
- Elvina earns an hourly wage/salary of $11.
- Wages/salaries were paid on Fridays.
- Wage/salary is usually used for professional jobs such as teachers, managers, doctors etc
- The clinic is run by specially trained/experienced medical staff.
- He is well trained/experienced to complete any mission that he is given.
- She’s highly trained/experienced in software development.
- Free theatre tickets are one of the bonuses/perks of this job.
- 11. Bonuses/perks offered by the firm include a car and free health insurance.
- Did you get a Christmas bonus/perk this year?
- I filled in the application form/CV and sent it off.
- He gave me his application form/CV in short order.
- Send a full application form/CV with your job application.
- He was responsible for hiring and firing/making redundant staff.
- Eight thousand people have been fired/made redundant in Britain this year.
- He was worried about being fired/made redundant at work.
- I applied for the post/vacancy and was asked to attend an interview.
- We will keep your CV on file in case other suitable posts/vacancies arise.
- He searched the newspapers regularly for job posts/vacancies.
- It is hard to combine study with a part-time/full-time job.
- She works part-time/full-time and still manages to run a home.
- She wants to work part-time/full-time after she’s had the baby.
13. application form
17. made redundant
18. made redundant